31 March 2019

The Rest of March

Saint Patrick's day was on a Sunday this year, so here's a picture of Kent and me decked out in our St. Patrick's day garb. 
The evening before we had our annual Green Party. We had a fun time, as usual.
Earlier in the month I attended a water color painting class. Below is the cardinal I painted. I was pleased with how it turned out. I didn't draw the cardinal, I just painted it, so I can't take credit for that.
At the end of March I did something I've done almost every year since we've lived in Virginia. I volunteered to work at the annual needlework exhibit held in Woodlawn Plantation. Woodlawn was originally part of the property of Mount Vernon, but the home was given to Martha Washington's granddaughter, Nellie.
This was the first year that photographs were allowed inside the home, so I took advantage of the opportunity.
                                                         You can see how the needlework on display is spread throughout the home.
I always enjoy looking at the variations on the piano found in historic homes.
This year there was a cushion stitched by Martha Washington on display.
They displayed it so that people could see the information written on the bottom of the cushion.
Needlework is displayed on the walls of the entryway.
Here's one of the bedrooms upstairs.
A different view of the same room.
The other bedroom. This may have been the master bedroom since it seems fancier.
My job as a volunteer is just to make sure visitors don't disturb the needlework, and to answer any questions. There's a book in each room with interesting information about some of the needlework. Each piece is judged within several different categories, which is why there are ribbons on some of the needlework.

No comments: