18 November 2017

A Relief Society Activity and A Christmas Concert at Constitution Hall

Due to scheduling conflicts, our Relief Society Christmas dinner and program was held on November 16th. It was actually nice to have it done before the month of December. The theme was "Angels Among Us". For the program I referenced Jeffrey R. Holland's talk in the October 2008 General Conference, "The Ministry of Angels".
"My beloved brothers and sisters, I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. “[N]or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man [or woman or child] upon the face thereof to be saved.”13 On occasions, global or personal, we may feel we are distanced from God, shut out from heaven, lost, alone in dark and dreary places. Often enough that distress can be of our own making, but even then the Father of us all is watching and assisting. And always there are those angels who come and go all around us, seen and unseen, known and unknown, mortal and immortal."
 I decorated with a gold and white color scheme, using gold wreaths, paper fans,
 and some ribbon angels I'd made.
 I always splurge to get nice paper napkins that fit my color scheme.
The centerpieces were a large angel surrounded by gold tulle with lights underneath.
I made these angel centerpieces with angel head ornaments I'd made about ten years ago, then used lacy fabric over a glass bottle as the body and a gold ribbon as wings.
I'm holding this one to show how big it was.
 I also made about forty of these small angels, which the women were able to take home as ornaments.
They were made with three kinds of ribbon and a painted wooden bead for a face.
This is the other side of the room after the activity, so the small angels had been given away.
 On the 2nd of December we attended a free Christmas concert given by the Army band at the Daughters of the American Revolution's Constitution Hall.
Kent and I went with Jim and Susan Burkett and Jennifer Johnson (center). Sadly, it was one of Jennifer's last outings. Just three weeks after joining us for the concert, she succumbed to the cancer she's been battling for many years, and passed away.
 The concert was fantastic, with a nice blend of instrumental and vocal Christmas carols.
 The Army Fife and Drum Corps even made an appearance.
And Santa took a turn leading the band. It was a very enjoyable evening and a great way to kick off the Christmas season!

No comments: