30 September 2018

The Rest of September: Elaine's Birthday, Stenciling our Entryway and Kent's Retirement

This year my birthday was on a Saturday, so we had time to go out to dinner. 
We went to the fanciest restaurant in Stafford County and had a delicious steak and crab dinner
. They also gave me a chocolate creme brulee for free since it was my birthday.
After dinner we went to stake conference, and after stake conference our friends the Burkett's had us over. Susan had made me some peanut butter brownies for my birthday. They were tasty!
My Bible Study friends had gotten together to make some pretty crafts for the table for my birthday lunch. Everything was very pretty.
I made my own cake, which was a maple pecan cake with browned butter frosting with toasted pecans on the top. It was REALLY good! I especially like the burned butter frosting.
I was ready for another change in our house since we've been here over TEN YEARS now, so I convinced Kent to work on stenciling our entry way.
It's such a small space I thought it wouldn't take very long, but as with most of my grandiose schemes,
it took much longer than I thought it would. Kent ended up finishing the project while I was visiting my parents in Oregon.
I was very pleased with the results. Thanks for all your hard work, Kent!


A sad event that happened in the middle of the month was the passing of Kent's mom on the 19th. We're glad we were able to see her at the beginning of the month, when Kent had spent quite a bit of time with her. She was 90 and had been in poor health for months, so it wasn't too much of a surprise.

At the end of September was a milestone for Kent--he retired after 36 years of working for the Federal Government. His bosses all had nice things to say about him.
Kent gave a nice farewell speech and had even written a poem.
He gave some special awards to some of his employees.
Some of his former employees came back to attend his retirement ceremony. It's obvious Kent was universally well-liked and had been a good worker and a good boss.

Farewell to ANC
By the Poet Engineer




As I go away and leave you
It’s retirement time for me
I always will remember
Exploring things of ANC

The sparkle of the sunlight
On the dew-soaked grass in spring
The beauty of the autumn days
From the blaze of “flaming” trees

The young daughter and hermother
Sitting by her daddys grave
Father sitting by his son’s headstone
Remembering the sacrifice, he gave.

The pageantry of the honors
For so many funerals every day
The horse drawn caissons and the rifles
The final tributes on display

The many projects that we worked on
As the “Engineering team”
Orange fences mark our progress
Of reconstructing everything



And buildingnew improvements
So the cemetery lasts
Many years into the future
And keep honoring our past.

And of course, the many people
I have worked with through the years
We had our times of laughter
And se whared some times of tears.

It is an Honor working here
On that I know we can agree.
These are some of the many things I’ll keep
In my heart from ANC

Thank you all for your friendship!
And the years we’ve worked together
Auf Weidersehen
Sayonara
And farewell
Until we meet again.


No comments: