04 May 2019

More Spring Activities in Virginia and Washington, DC

I've been attending Virginia Historic Garden Week for the past nine years, and this year was no exception.
 Kent and I went to see four homes in Gloucester, Virginia.
This photo is from a historic church that they were using as a headquarters for the tour.
Kent was pretty disappointed in the gardens at most of the homes. He felt it was mostly a "show off our fancy paintings and belongings" home tour. As usual, we weren't allowed to take photos inside the homes, and the azaleas above were about the most colorful flowers we saw all day.
I toured the homes and gardens in Warrenton, Virginia, with my Bible Study friends. These were all very rural areas with large properties.
Almost every one had a pond or lake.
I thought the little fairy house was cute in this yard.
One property had peacocks wandering the grounds.
I don't know if I've ever seen a white peacock before!
A pretty flowering tree, but I don't know it's name. I'm wearing my Mom's raincoat in these pictures.
Kent and I go to the National Arboretum to see the azaleas in bloom about every other year.
We got to see them almost as often as we go to see the cherry blossoms in DC.
It was a bit past their peak, but we still saw lots of lovely blooms and bright colors.
One thing we did this year that we hadn't done before was to visit the National Bonsai exhibit that was in the National Arboretum.
I'm not sure how we'd missed it other years, because we love looking at bonsai trees!
Actually, I think it's that we love looking at things and places that remind us of our time living in Japan.
I thought this was the most amazing tree in the exhibit.
It's almost 400 YEARS OLD!! It was started in 1625--absolutely incredible! Be sure to read some of it's interesting history on the sign above.
Kent loves Japanese gardens, so of course he was delighted with the one here.
We went as a part of his birthday celebration.
And here it is, the perfect blending of what we saw at the National Arboretum--azaleas and bonsai trees!!

No comments: