27 April 2017

Historic Virginia Garden Week and Our Fairy Garden

An event I look forward to every spring is called Historic Virginia Garden Week.  It's when historic homes throughout the entire state open their homes and gardens for tours during the last week of April. I try to get to at least two locations every year. 
This first one I attended were homes around the town of Warrenton.
The spring blooms were out in force and the weather was lovely.


It seems like most of the properties I toured this year had waterfront views.
Photos inside the homes weren't allowed, so I have lots of garden pictures.
These are the lovely ladies from my Bible Study group that went with me to tour the homes around Warrenton.
I thought this was a cool man-made waterfall.
I thought this arbor of greenery was pretty.
The blossoms on this tree look like handkerchiefs.
The gardener who cared for this property told us to be sure to look for the handkerchief tree, so we did!
On Saturday Kent and I went with Jim and Bonnie Jeo to visit the homes in the town of Washington, Virginia.
The town is generally called "Little Washington."
Bonnie and me at the entrance to the first home we went to see.
This was it, and again, a pond on the property.
This was a spring house from the late 1700's that was still standing.
I took this picture for the lovely hydrangeas in the vases on either side of the path.
A close up of the hydrangeas--I haven't seen that dark pink color very often!
One of the homes had a large natural garden with several water features, like the waterfall above.
It's a shame photos aren't allowed inside the homes, because there are some amazing floral arrangements using native flowers in every home, made by local garden clubs. The arrangement above was out on the porch so I was able to take a picture of it.
If you look closely at this picture you can see some fairy garden items. This was the inspiration for us to start putting some little fairy garden features in our yard.
 Here are a few shots from our own fairy garden. Kent painted the mushrooms to be colorful.
 The fairies are placed on the side of the house where the piano students come down to the basement.
This waterfall has given Kent lots of trouble because the blue stones keep falling off.
 Kent changes things up frequently so the students have something new to look when they come.
 Kent made these little windows out of wood and painted them himself, but the door was bought at a store.
Kent used some colorful flowers on the outside of this fairy house. He's had lots of fun creating the little fairy vignettes!

No comments: