19 March 2016

Trip to Oregon for my Mom's 80th Birthday

Kent and I were able to fly to Oregon on the 10th of March to help my mother celebrate her 80th birthday.
We flew out bright and early in the morning, and we had the rare experience of watching the sun rise from the air.
I made my mom a cake to her specifications, which was a chocolate cake with royal icing. We had the birthday party at my brother's house, who also lives in Oregon.
We decided it wasn't necessary to have 80 candles on the cake!
I made buttercream frosting for the layers inside the cake. It was yummy!
My sister from Massachusetts and my brother from Texas joined us for a dinner cruise that left from Portland, Oregon. Of course it was a rainy night. That's to be expected in Oregon in the spring.
A dinner cruise was my mother's request.
Since we went at night we didn't see too much out the windows except what was lit up.
Here's a view of all the family members who were able to join us on the cruise. We were only all together for about seven hours on my mom's actual birthday, since my youngest brother didn't fly in until Saturday afternoon, and my sister had to leave Saturday after the dinner cruise. I really regret that we didn't get a picture of just the original six family members.


Mom makes patchwork flannel blankets for all the great-grandchildren. She enlists my help whenever I visit so we can work together on the quilts. Below my sister, Jill, is helping to cut out squares. This shows what a loyal daughter she is, because she has no interest in sewing or much of anything domestic!
Here's the top of the quilt we completed while I was there.
My parents holding the bouquet of flowers my daughter, Lissa, sent my mom for her birthday.
My mom is proud of the fact she doesn't have to dye her hair at her age. It's a nice natural brown color even at the age of 80.  Her mother never had to dye her hair, either, but she passed away in her seventies. Happy 80th birthday, Mom!!

No comments: