31 December 2010

Christmas in Texas

Kent and I flew to Texas on December 21st to spend Christmas there. Adrianne, Russ and Tyler flew in the next day. Here we are getting ready to eat Christmas brunch. Here's Kiera, the star of Christmas morning, absorbed in her loot.
Here are the other kids, absorbed in their loot.
On December 27th, Kent and I and Tyler, Russ and Adrianne took a day trip to San Antonio, which was about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive from Katy. While there we stopped at the lovely temple.
The stained glass windows in the temple were beautiful. It would have been awesome to see it at night, but I guess we'll have to do that on another, longer, visit.
Our next stop was the Alamo. To tell the truth, it wasn't as impressive or interesting as I expected it to be. Maybe it's more exciting for Texans.
It's always neat to see how different things look at night, all lit up. I thought the shot Kent took below is postcard quality! I should probably mention that we took this photo after we'd walked around the River Walk, and were heading back to the car. That's why it's so much darker than it was when we were trying to get pictures of the Christmas lights.
I really wanted to see the Christmas lights along the San Antonio River walk, but it wasn't dark enough at 5:30pm to get the full effect. Unfortunately, my traveling companions weren't very interested in sticking around until it was darker, so these were the best shots we got.
The photo below was taken under a bridge, which is why it's a bit darker than the previous view. It looks like it would have been really neat to see when it was fully dark. I thought it was fun that Kent is in the picture, on the right, also taking a picture.
One of the few time Kiera was mugging for the camera instead of running away from it!
Group shot of all of us who were in Texas for Christmas, before everybody headed for home. Hmmm, I guess I didn't get the memo about the girls wearing pink for the photo!

3 comments:

Adri and Russ Lee said...

Those are great pictures - some I hadn't seen before. I think your riverwalk ones turned out well, considering that it wasn't that dark.

Melissa said...

Congrats on the new grandson! I hope you get to go see him soon! And I have to say I totally agree with you about the Alamo-I usually like historical places but I wasn't impressed either.

PLANET HANSEN said...

Great photo's! Fun to see you and your family. I love seeing your adventures.:) I felt the same way about the Alamo and I am Texan. :)