31 July 2010

The Will to Live! AKA The Little Tree that Could

Rewind 6 months....

Virginia was in the midst of the worse winter in this area in 100 years. This is how our best Magnolia tree looked as I headed out to brush the snow off and relieve some stress.


As I walked out of the house, I heard a loud Crack! and this is how our Magnolia looked after the snow had stopped. I figured there was no reason to brush the snow off it anymore. I assumed the tree was dead, but I left the trunk so I could use the base for a birdhouse stand.


Much to my surprise the trunk was NOT dead. It had a strong will to live. As spring came it began sprouting leaves and branches profusely. This is how it looks today!

It may be more of a bush now than a tree. Time will tell. But is will make a nice backdrop as I landscape that side of the yard next spring. That is my project area for next year.

4 comments:

Adri and Russ Lee said...

Wow. That's pretty neat. Maybe next winter you should cover it up so that it doesn't have to resurrect again :)

Jason and Lissa said...

Hooray for the tree!

Amanda Impett said...

That is one strong little tree. Don't count out the little guy sometimes they have the strongest will to live. I have proof of that Damian's sister is adopting a little girl that everyone counted out and almost gave up on. That little girl weighed 1lb 14 oz at birth but you wouldn't know that now to look at her and while she is a little delayed she is strong and she fights. Moral of the story like your tree it's the underdog and the little guy who fights the hardest to make it.

Garrett and Krystal said...

Wow that is some resilient little tree! It's a good thing it made it though.