17 May 2010

This is How we Play in May

Our friends the Jeos had extra tickets to a professional baseball game, so on the first of May we drove to Baltimore to watch the Orioles and the Boston Red Sox play. My sister, Jill, is a big Boston Red Sox fan, so she was also in town from Pennsylvania to watch the game. I visited with her and her family before the game but didn't have my camera to get a picture of us together.
The game was much more exciting than we expected. It was a slugfest; there were nine home runs hit between the two teams. The final score was 12 to 9, and the Orioles won.
A few days later, Kent celebrated his birthday.

For a Relief Society activity the sisters were asked to bring cupcakes for a "cupcake competition", and I made a picnic out of cupcakes. In case you can't tell, there are hamburgers, baked beans, corn on the cob, watermelon and cherry pies.
When I posted pictures of my cupcakes on facebook, a few people asked if I won the competition. The answer is no, because when I got to the activity, the RS presidency said they wouldn't judge because we were all winners. I thought they'd at least have labels for prettiest, most creative, or something, but they didn't give out any kind of recognition. The "competition" label was false advertising.
You can see some of the cupcakes other ladies brought to the event if you go to the blog I just added to our blog list. It's Garrisonville Relief Society. (If you look closely you can also see me trying to attack our RS president from behind during the self defense portion of the evening.)
Tyler is here visiting for a few weeks. On Friday we went into DC and went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History. Here's Tyler with an original costume from one of the Star Wars movies.
My sister, Jill, was in DC, so we met and had a guided tour of the World War II memorial. It was a very hot and sunny day.
This little guy was carved in the back of the World War II memorial; I put this picture in for you, Garrett.
On Saturday, the 15th, we drove to a ski resort in the Shenandoah Mountains so Kent and Tyler could go zip lining.

They went up on the ski lift.

There were ten stations that they zip lined down the mountain.

It took them just over an hour to get down the mountain. I sat on the deck of the ski lodge and read a book.
On the way home after zip lining, we drove through some small Virginia towns . . . . .

. . . . . and along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park.

There's always lots to see and do in Virginia!!

4 comments:

Misa said...

Looks like tons of fun!! I LOVE your cupcakes!! Such a cute idea!! Happy Birthday Kent!

The Mortensens said...

I know I already commented on FB, but I just love those cupcakes!

Jason and Lissa said...

You empty-nesters sure keep busy! You must need to move to Texas so you can talk about your granddaughter instead. :D

Garrett and Krystal said...

Looks like it was a fun and exciting month!