15 March 2010

We Were Going Green Before it was "In"

It's time the world knows that it was Kent and I back in the late 90's who started this "going Green" trend. Al Gore and his cronies are johnny-come-latelys. (BTW, the above picture is the front of the invitation I made for our party. It fit into a green business-sized envelope.)

We first had a branch party in March with the theme of "green" twelve years ago when we lived in Japan. Since then we've had green parties in Germany and Virginia. On the invitations it says we'd like to celebrate St. Patrick's day and the first day of Spring with a Green Party. The instructions are simple: everyone wears green and brings a green food item.
I originally created a quiz with every answer having the word "green" in it, but last year I upgraded it into a Jeopardy game so it's more interactive with the party attendees. Bet you never dreamed there were so many green trivia facts!
To give you an idea, some of the answers are: Anne of Green Gables, Lee Greenwood, Alan Greenspan, the Evergreen state, Green Bay Packers, Green Eggs and Ham, How Green was my Valley, Greensleeves, Greenpeace, Walgreens, Greenacres, Green Day.....you get the idea. I even use youtube and play snippets of songs in the "Name that Tune" category.
Since we've had our Green Party several times, throughout the year I keep my eyes open for green decor and food items I can buy and save for the party. Of course I've collected a few things to use over the years. This year I found some green serving bowls at Goodwill and a green tablecloth on sale for 80% off at an after-Christmas sale to add to my green supplies.
This is an ornament holder I found at Pier One last year at Easter time. I use it with snowflakes in January, hearts in February, shamrocks in March, and will hang eggs on it for April.
The following pictures show the food I provided at the party. Pictured below: green grapes, green olives (Kent was happy; I hardly ever buy them because I don't like them) and dill pickles. Green garden spinach herb wraps filled with cream cheese, spinach, dip seasoning and alfalfa sprouts. (They tasted better than they sound.)
Shamrock spritz cookies. I wish I'd done a better job of showing the cute green polka dot ribbon I laced through the outside of the cake plate.
Guacamole flavored tortilla chips with green salsa. In the background you can see that one guest brought shamrock cookies and cupcakes, and another brought spinach dip with French bread. Not pictured is the key lime pie another guest brought, and the spearmint green starlight mints I bought at Walmart. It was a well-balanced spread.
I offered prizes to the person wearing the most green and for the most unusual green food item. The prizes were a green plant.
Here's a picture of the table I have out on the front porch.
I found a green light bulb several months ago and saved it to use on the night of the party. Not sure it was that effective in the porch light; I may figure out somewhere else to put it in the future. (Note: Kent put in this new porch light on the day of the party since the old one was corroded and needed to be replace. Thanks, Kent!!)
As usual, it was a fun evening and I think everyone who came had a good time.

7 comments:

Adri and Russ Lee said...

You guys are so festive! Now I want to have green parties. It looks fun!

Stinson Clan said...

Mom, no one knows how to throw such a perfect party like you! (Jason wondered why Kermit the Frog wasn't anywhere.) :)

Jen said...

Cute idea! I may have to copy you sometime.

The Mortensens said...

Love it!

Carson said...

But Kermit was there! One of the songs was "It's not that easy being green"

Garrett and Krystal said...

Cute! That looked like a fun party. :)

Krista said...

What a clever, clever idea! I love it!