15 June 2019

Two Piano Recitals

I have a student, Nichole, that I've been teaching for nine years, and this year she's a senior. I planned and organized a recital just for her on May 17th.
I made a photo book for her with all the pictures I had of her from her recitals with me throughout the years.
She told me what colors she wanted, which was a pale aqua and silver.
I was fortunate she chose those colors, since I had several decorations leftover from a Relief Society birthday dinner I'd put on a few years ago.
I cut out glittery silver pianos and piano keys to put on the walls.
Nichole worked very hard and had lots of extra practices with me, to learn seven songs to perform a the recital. I made invitations and had her give them to her friends and family.
I also made a slide show of some of the pictures that I'd put into the photo book.
Nichole requested cheesecake for refreshments, so I made three different cheesecakes and toppings from scratch the day before the recital.
I walked about 4 miles with all I did for set up, and even though I was wearing my compression leggings, this is how my legs looked at the end of the night---
I had my usual recital on Saturday morning, June 8th.
I used watercolor flowers as my theme this year, with yellow, pale pink and dark pink as my colors. I made about twenty largish organza flowers in those colors. I also added black vinyl to a white charger plate to make it look like piano keys. I love the way it turned out!
I even used pastel colored organza for my piano keys backdrop, instead of my usual white. It was all fabric that I already had from previous events. I didn't buy any fabric.
The Stinsons came to visit and the girls played in my recital.
As I've been doing for the past few years, I divided my students into two recitals.
The second group was quite a bit larger than the first group.
I had the pink and yellow tablecloth from a previous Relief Society activity, and was happy to find a way to use it again.

                        
Kent set up a fairy recital as part of the decorations, which was very cute.

Since it was in the morning I asked everyone to bring breakfast food, and had set up tables in the large side of the cultural hall for people to sit and eat.
It was a good idea, except there wasn't enough time after the first recital for people to finish eating before it was time for the second recital. The first group kind of had to be rushed out to make room for the second group, and there wasn't really time to clean up the mess made by the first group before the second group came. Lessons learned for the future!

No comments: