26 May 2017

The Rest of May

Here's what we did during the rest of May.
Kent requested a yellow cake with chocolate frosting, which I made with several thin layers of cake. 
It was yummy!
Kent celebrated his 61st birthday on May 3rd. We invited two other couples over to have cake with us.
The Carson Nature Preserve had not one, but two bird nests on our front porch this year. I took this picture out the window next to the front door, of the little finch sitting on her eggs.
I couldn't believe that ittybitty bird laid five eggs in that little tiny nest.

This is the front view of the wreath where the bird built her nest.
I had a basket of pink tulips on my front door, and a different bird built her nest in that decoration. This is a picture of the baby birds in that nest. While it may seem sweet to have baby birds on your porch, let me assure you that the amount of bird doo they left behind wasn't very pleasant!
Jenny Oaks Baker and her four children put on a concert at the DC Temple Visitor's Center. It was a delightful evening, and my friend, Nancy, from my Bible study group, and her husband attended with us. 
Speaking of my Bible study group, we spent one morning in May visiting George Washington's grist mill.
It was recreated on the spot where George Washington had built his.
This is a picture of the inner workings.
Here's a picture of our group who toured the grist mill.
I hosted a Garden Party for my Bible Study friends, but one wasn't able to attend.
I made some organza flowers to put on the little vases, then filled them with flowers from our yard.
I usually put fabric under the deck to cover up the boards, but since there was a chance of rain I used plastic tablecloths from the Dollar Tree instead.
It worked very well and looked just fine.
Here's a picture of the place settings.
I made some homemade freezer jam for each guest.
I put the lavender organza flowers on the jars, too. We had a lovely time and it didn't rain after all!

No comments: