27 April 2016

Historic Virginia Garden Week

Every year in Virginia at the end of April they have "Historic Virginia Garden Week." It's a great time to tour privately owned historic homes and to see some beautiful yards and floral arrangements. Photos aren't allowed inside the homes, so all my photos are of the countryside and the outsides of the homes. 

This year I visited homes in a part of Virginia I hadn't been to before. It was the beautiful farmlands area west of DC before getting to the Shenandoah Mountains. 
 I picked up the tickets for the home tour in the town of Upperville, established in 1790. Below is a cute little church in Upperville.
The stone Library building had the date of 1804 on it's sign.
 The building was tiny and so cute!
One of the homes we toured had their extra firewood stored like this. I thought it was awesome.
 Another home had this old settler cabin on it, and the owners remodeled the inside to be a guest house.
This was the view out the front of one of the homes on the tour.
 I liked all the white tulips in the garden of this home.
The owner of the home below collected large sculptures.
 Here's the first one we saw as we were driving onto the property.
 The chubby sheep in the one below were fun.
 These are only a few of the many sculptures spread throughout the grounds.
 The Garden clubs of Virginia make floral arrangements using local flowers and put them throughout the homes on the tour. I really wish I could have taken pictures of some of them.
It was a perfect spring day with beautiful weather, and made the tour even more enjoyable.
 I thought this little doorway with the flowers in the boots was sweet and whimsical.
I've gone on Historic Garden Week tours in several parts of Virginia now and it's always delightful to tour the homes and gardens. Spring is such a lovely time of the year; I really look forward to this tour every year.

No comments: