06 June 2011

30 Years Ago Today.....

The couple in the picture below couldn't have known that their future would include four wonderful children, eight moves (all except one an international move) and living overseas for 19 of their 30 years together. Little known fact: Kent and I met at Washington State Universty when I went to stay with my brother and his wife after they had a baby. The newspaper announcement below was one Kent's mom put in the paper in Vancouver, WA. Little known fact: One week after our marriage Kent left me behind and spent two weeks at US Army National Guard summer camp. Sadly, the wedding photos are rather pathetic because we decided to save money and not hire a professional photographer. Big mistake. Huge. But one that can't be changed.

We were married in the Seattle Temple, which had only been open for six months. Little known fact: Kent proposed to me in front of the Seattle Temple.



We had an open house at the Methodist Church in Vancouver, Washington, where Kent is from, on the day of our marriage. Well known fact: hats were quite stylish for weddings in the early eighties. After our honeymoon in Seattle and Victoria and Vancouver British Columbia, we had a reception in Spokane, Washington, with my side of the family. Little known fact: I had strep throat during our reception. I probably infected half the ward.We've had many amazing experiences and faced afew challenges in our years together. It wouldn't be honest to say that our marriage has always been perfect. We've had our good years and difficult years--as I think most couples do. But we've had many, many more good years than bad, and have learned that we're both at our best when we working together as a team.

Little known fact: I'm a nightowl (it's 1am as I'm writing this) and Kent is an early bird. When we were dating Kent would stay up late so we could spend as much time as possible together, so I didn't know until after we were married that he likes to go to bed by 10:30pm.

HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY, HONEY!!


I LOVE YOU. THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO.

5 comments:

Jason and Lissa said...

Very nice post, mom. I didn't know about all those facts! :)

Happy anniversary to the best parents in the world!

Melissa said...

What a cute post! Congratulations on celebrating this milestone!

Amanda Impett said...

Happy Anniversary!!! What a wonderful post. It was neat to see those pictures and learn about how you met. That's so neat that you saved all those things.

Garrett and Krystal said...

Happy Anniversary! That was neat to learn some things about you two.

Dana B said...

Congratulations and loved your post! It's fun to see the pictures. You & Adri could pass as twins! Scott and I had mono for our wedding & receptions. I also had a hat like yours! It's fun to note the similarities. I don't know about the photographer thing--- we had one and the pictures have sat in a box for years.