27 November 2010

I'm Dreaming of a White....Thanksgiving?

Pictured below are the peanut butter ball body, Whopper head and German pico-balla tail feathers that I made as a Thanksgiving treat for my piano students. They were cute, but tasted good, too!! Kent and I spent the week before Thanksgiving in Washington state. We spent part of that time in Vancouver, Washington, with Kent's side of the family. We didn't take any pictures while we were on that side of the state. We'd heard there was snow in the forecast for the time we were in Washington, but weren't really prepared for how much snow there was. I took this picture and the one below to show the snow, and also how cold is was in Spokane, Washington, where my parents live. It ended up snowing about five inches while we were there. One thing I try to always do when I'm in Spokane is to visit my 96-year-old grandmother. Here she is, wearing the apron I made her. Her mind is still sharp as a tack. She's been legally blind for almost 17 years, but she' told me many times that those years have been the happiest in her life.
Below is a three-generation picture with my father and grandmother. Sorry the picture is a bit crooked; my 89-year-old grandpa took the picture. Tyler also came from Provo to spent Thanksgiving in Spokane. He's rather fond of Bootsie, my parents' cat. Don't ask me why they're wearing matching head lamps, but Tyler thought it was funny.
We had Thanksgiving dinner in the dining room of the retirement apartment where my parents live. Grandma and Grandpa Bates joined us. It was great to be served the meal and not spend all day cooking and then cleaning up. Instead we went to see a matinee of the new "Harry Potter" movie.
In spite of the snow we were able to get around to everywhere we wanted to go, and our flights came in and left on time. That's because Spokane is accustomed to snow and has the equipment to clear the roads and the airplanes. It was good to be with family for Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Adri and Russ Lee said...

Those are great pictures! We're so lucky to have such good parents and grandparents and greatgrandparents!

Jason and Lissa said...

Nice pictures! Glad you were all able to be together for Thanksgiving. I really think Tyler needs a pet cat for Christmas. :P

Melissa said...

Even though snow can make things unpleasant, it just makes things seem more holiday-ish. It never really feels completely like the holidays here in Oklahoma because it's usually 60 degrees outside!

Garrett and Krystal said...

That's neat that you all got to get together for Thanksgiving! It's weird to see all the snow. It's good that it didn't affect your travel. :)