21 December 2009

Blizzard of 2009

The blizzard of 2009 hit while Elaine & I were in Provo for Garrett's Air Force Commissioning. Fortunately DC had a day to recover before I had to fly back, so did not get stranded as everyone going to this area did the day before. When I arrived home at 2 am Monday, all I could do was get a trail to the house, and dig a place to keep the car off the road. Snow was about 20 inches. Most I have seen in years.


The rest of the photos are random, because I still have not mastered uploading photos in the right sequence. This blogspot is fun, but it could certainly do with a much better editor. Oh well, at least the price is right!
Below is where my new steps in the back yard "used to be".
The sidewalk to the back of the house
The front of the house, after my wonderful neighbor cleaned the driveway with his snow blower. Snow does not stick long on these steep roofs - the snow there looks wimpy.
The front steps the night I got back
And last but not least, the back yard and my 4-foot-tall bird bath.

Fortunately the days since the blizzard have been slightly above freezing, so the area is recovering fairly well. More snow/ice on the way Christmas day. But we will be safely in Spokane Washington - assuming Chicago does not get snowy on the days we fly through there.
I give it 50-50 odds we make it through on schedule.

3 comments:

Amanda Impett said...

I love the pictures that reminds me of Spokane last year. I think the FINAL total was right around 3 or so feet of snow. I know digging out was not much fun so I'm glad you were able to dig out all right. Thank goodness for neighbors. If it had not been for all of us scratching each others backs last year we wouldn't have made it neighbors, family and members of the ward all banded together. I hope you guys are able to make it on time. I will keep praying and keep fingers crossed.

Adri and Russ Lee said...

Wow! Those are some pretty crazy pictures. I'm glad you missed it. However, I must point out that you said more "snot" was on the way for Christmas. hahaha. Can you imagine snot falling from the sky? That would be WORSE than snow!

Jason and Lissa said...

That's a lot of snow! This is the only time of year I appreciate living in Houston--gotta love these mild winters! I suffer for 10 months to get 2 months of nice weather! :)