09 November 2009

We Witnessed History in the Making--Germany, 1989

We were living in Germany when the Berlin wall came down. The first time I went through Checkpoint Charlie to go from West Berlin to East Berlin in 1985 was one of the most exciting things I'd done in my life to that point.
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that less than five years later the "Iron Curtain" would come down. Side note: You know you're grooving on my 1990's fashion sense!

We weren't in Berlin on November 9, 1989, but we took the kids on the train a few months later so they could have the chance to chip away at the Berlin Wall.
Kent and I had gone to Berlin in January without the kids, but came home and immediately made plans to return with the children.

Lissa--age seven

Garrett--age 6

Tyler--age 3

Adrianne--age 20 months
We've had some chunks of the wall all these years, and just recently Kent created a shadowbox display for them. I can't believe it's been 20 years already! Thank you Pres. Reagan, for bringing about the fall of communism.

2 comments:

The Mortensens said...

That is so neat that you were living in Germany when the wall came down. I remember watching it on T.V. and thinking that someday I would like to visit the wall!

Do your kids remember making that trip?

Adri and Russ Lee said...

how come I'm not holding any of the wall!? :) Too bad you didn't get a picture of me ditching my priceless relics in the mud puddles. I was Kiera :)