22 October 2009

Visiting My Kids

I went to visit the kids this month. I flew to Utah on a Thursday evening, and spent Friday volunteering in my daughter Adri's first grade class. It was so much fun! I mostly did projects that Adri wanted me to do, but I did read the children a story after lunch.

It's pretty amazing to see my youngest daughter as a school teacher. Adri is a wonderful teacher and I'm very proud of her.

While I was there we all went to the Provo temple together. Garrett and Tyler had study groups to attend on Saturday, so we weren't able to go to the temple until later in the afternoon. After the temple I made dinner for the family at Russ and Adri's apartment.
I went to church with Adri and Russ, and on Sunday evening the boys came over and we all played games. The only way my visit could have been better was if Kent could have been there with us.
After four days in Utah I flew to Houston to visit Lissa, Jason and Kiera. Kiera is 15 months old and has lots of personality. She found numerous ways to entertain her parents and me, including licking the water off the door of the dishwasher.
Relaxing against her mom while watching her favorite show, "Meet the Robinsons."
Lissa and I took Kiera shopping for a dress. We forgot to take the stroller, so Kiera had a great time walking throughout the store. I mostly followed her around while her mom looked at dresses. When we got out to the parking lot, Kiera kept walking right past the car. The parking lot was pretty empty, and she walked the length of the lot. The white car backing out is Lissa coming to pick us up.
Here's a family picture. Kiera likes to go outside, so every day I was there I took her for a walk in the stroller, though the weather was still pretty hot and humid. We always went in the morning after breakfast.
When Kiera was born her hair was dark, but every time I see her it seems to be lighter. A year ago our hair was the same color.
While in Houston I spent a day at the International Quilt Festival, which advertises itself as the largest quilt show in the world. I LOVED it. The quilts were amazing, and made me feel like such an amateur.
Here's the video of Kiera walking away from the car (I don't know why the blog put it at the end of the post.) There wasn't anything interesting in the direction she was going, so I don't know why she was so determined to keep walking.

I had a wonderful time visiting the kids and going to the quilt festival, but Kent was lonely at home and happy to have someone home to talk to!

2 comments:

Jason and Lissa said...

What an adorable granddaughter you have! :) I'm glad you were able to come visit.

Smith Family said...

Such good Grandparents. Some day, I hope to have as much energy and love for my grandchildren as you do. Your children are LUCKY!