22 June 2009

Piano Recital

The end of the school year means piano recital time. It's a time for the students to show off what they've learned, and hopefully help them get over their nervousness at performing in front of an audience. I've also added a picture from last year's recital, to show the stark contrast in the number of students I have this year compared to last year.
2009 2008Last year the recital was held at a chapel on the army post, but this year I was able to have it in the piano teaching room I have set up in our daylight basement. We pushed the furniture to the sides and brought over 25 chairs from the church, so it looked pretty official.
I tried inserting a picture of the piano keyboard cake I make for refreshments for the spring recital every year, but for some reason it wouldn't copy into the blog. This year I tried something new, and I think these sugar cookies turned out pretty cute. They were tasty, too!
I wish I'd asked Kent to take pictures of the students playing, and one of the audience, but I didn't, so I don't have any photos of that.
Two days before the recital I decided I should play something, so I dusted off my Pachelbel's Canon in D. It wasn't the most showy or difficult piece I could have played, but the music is so lovely, it's a pleasure to listen to, and I think that's more important than showing off.
We had refreshments outside on our new brick patio. Fortunately, it wasn't raining, which is saying something around here this year!

1 comment:

Jason and Lissa said...

Those are cute cookies, mom! You always go all-out for your recitals, whether it's just for a few students or a lot.